google analytics

Contributors

Friday, September 28, 2012

UNREAL ly Good!




Well, Bzzagent has done it again!  I really love getting to try new things and share them :).  Well, these are the unreal candy line.  If you look above you can see all five different "flavors" offered.  I'm going to quote their website with how they came about deciding to create these awesome candies!


IT TOOK A QUESTION FROM A 13 YEAR OLD

A few years ago, Michael and his 13 year old son Nicky got into an argument over Halloween candy.  Nicky came home with his bag of loot, went to bed, and woke up the next morning to find that his dad had confiscated most of it.  It played out the way these fights normally do, with the candy gone and Nicky going to his room.

Later, Nicky did some research online (to prove to his dad that candy isn’t so bad).  He discovered that his dad was right (for once).

It’s not that Nicky thought candy was healthy.  It’s that he didn’t know how bad it really was. What Nicky learned was that the worst parts of candy (like hydrogenated oils, corn syrup, artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives) aren’t there to make it taste good.  They’re there to make it cheaper to produce. Nicky had a hunch that without the junk, candy could taste better. With the help of his older brother Kris, and his dad, they set out to prove it.


Luclin trying to steal a taste of the candy.

So, how awesome is this for a way to start a candy company?  What a kid, right?  This is what started this new line of candy that boast of containing No artificial ingredients, No hydrogenated oils, No corn syrups, No preservatives, No GMO's, and to have a low glycemic index.  Both Mike and I struggle with insulin resistance.  Eating candy and sweets (without protein to balance it) can really make a good day into a bad day for us, so I was super excited to try these! 

 BzzAgent sent me my coupons to share and my coupons for a free product for myself.  According to the website, Kroger is a carrier of the product, so I began stalking my Kroger.  After a couple of weeks went by of them saying "Oh, it may be coming in our next shipment" we started expanding our search.  Sadly, these guys were hard for me to find :(, but we did find them in the end!  It was at the Michael's on the other side of town (the most difficult part was getting there before they closed since we only ever seem to make it out for shopping late these days).  When I got to the store and saw them all arranged on the shelf, I realized I had another problem....I couldn't pick one!  What's the easiest and best solution to this type of problem?  I bought one of each!  So, here are my feelings on what you'll notice the most when converting over to this new brand of candy compared to their name brand "junked" alternatives!

UN 77-peanut butter chocolate cup


We'll start off with my least favorite one (although, to be fair, I just don't normally like peanut butter cups.).  The biggest thing I noticed was that the peanut butter filling tasted slightly salty to me.  Mike (who loves peanut butter cups) said that the chocolate to peanut butter ratio (I'm sure you other folks who love these guys will understand this comparison) was leaning more towards the chocolate.  He agreed with me that they were slightly salty, but said that he would gladly eat them again.

UN 41- candy coated chocolates

These were most likely Mike's least favorite.  We noticed a slightly bitter taste to them that we weren't used to.  It wasn't a lack of sweetness bitter, but a dark chocolate bitter (which I loved, but Mike did not).  So, if you like dark chocolate go for these!  If you're like Mike and hate dark chocolate, don't get excited because you love this type of candy and pour a whole handful in your mouth.  (This most likely did happen in our testing ;) )


UN 5- chocolate caramel nougat bar

After giving Mike this candy (and since I've never had the name brand alternative before) under the wrong comparison, I discovered that this name brand is another of those types of candies he hates.  The good news is that he actually really liked this one!  He was surprised and I was surprised.  To me, the taste was really similar to the chocolate protein bars I eat.  This isn't bad (because I actually really like some of the chocolate protein bars) it just caught me off guard!

UN 8- chocolate caramel peanut nougat

This was Luclin's favorite....Just kidding.  To be fair though, this is the only candy he tried to steal a bite of (he's very selective in what people food he ever wants to beg for, so you gotta know this was good!).  The name brand alternate "junked" version of the candy is Mike's absolute favorite candy.  (Growing up it was my mom's favorite candy...so these were always stolen out of my trick-or-treat pails!)  Sadly, he devoured it upon tasting it and I only really got a tiny bite out of his guilt for eating it all.  He described it as having an overall more balanced flavor where he could actually recognize the nut flavor.  He also said that it tasted more sugar sweet and less fake sweet.  (I'm not sure how he tasted anything the way he engulfed it though, but I trust him!  :) )

UN 54- candy coated chocolates with peanuts

These were (without a doubt) my favorite of all the current flavors!  I've always enjoyed the "junked" alternative, but these really hit the spot for me.  (I'm afraid to say that the way Mike ate the UN 8, I ate these.)  Compared to the alternative, these are slightly sweeter (once again in a good way) and you can really taste the peanut instead of it being a solid lump of tasteless peanut in the center.  If peanuts could be light and fluffy, I'd call these guys light and fluffy!  Mike really liked them as well, but I didn't share many so he's already planning a trip out for a couple of more packages!

I hope my descriptions help you know a little bit about which ones to choose (because I HIGHLY recommend you trying them out!) to try in your home!  I tried to take a "realistic" approach in my description so that there were no surprises for any of you!  Now, the cool thing about this candy company is that the more they see people liking them, the more different brands they'll start to "unjunk" so join the UNREAL NATION so we can see what other marvelous candies they develop!



No comments:

Post a Comment